Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Human Trafficking

I am going to talk about a serious global issue - Human Trafficking.

Human Trafficking is the illegal trade in human beings for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation or forced labor. It is a modern day form of slavery. It is the world third largest illegal trade after drug and arms trafficking. It is to my ultimate surprise that there are 27 million people today that are slaved. This number is even HIGHER than the past where slavery is legal. Can you believe that? I think part of it is due to the definition change of slavery.

Out of these 27 million slaves, 80% are women. These women or young girls are involved in sexual trades or being household slaves. They act out of their will. Then what do the male slaves do? They had to unwillingly work in dangerous conditions with little or no pay that it would take them forever to repay their debt. Most of them want to be freed and rescued. They want education. They simply have no choice but to lead a miserable life. Why?! Because some need money! While some were deceived and had their passport confiscated when they went abroad. There are basically three means of human trafficking - force, fraud, coercion. So these victims were deceived at the first place.

Despite the country's size and population, Germany has the world largest sex industry. The reason is prostitution in Germany is legal. I never realize that prostitution is legal in certain countries. On the other hand, the US comes second in the sex industry. I came to realize that there are states like Nevada which enacted the legal prostitution law.

In Uzbekistan, the government forced the children to harvest the cotton without pay during the harvest season. This is another form of child slavery. I find it hard to agree to this government policy that I would advocate this illicit activity to stop in due course. The government should use this time to educate the children instead of forcing them to do slavery work that is out of their will.

In my point of view, slavery should be abolished. By studying about the Civil Right Movements of the African American from 1950-1960, I was inspired that equality of opportunity should exist in every country. There is no one born with superior status to any one of us because every human is equal. Human rights should be respected. Please help to contribute to stop human trafficking by any means possible.

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this nice summary of the presentations we heard last time of the two ladies. This topic is very shocking to me even though I have seen this many times in my life I didn't really think about it until now. I learned that prostitution is not legal in most countries. Growing up in Germany and partly in the Czech Republic I honestly thought that it is normal and legal everywhere. In the Czech Republic you see a lot of prostitutes standing on the street in Germany it is more hidden. I saw this as a little child every day and for me it was part of daily life. I think prostitution is ok if some women chose this to be their job but not if people are forced to do this! Especially children that are used as prostitutes or child soldiers is so horrible and they don't even know what they are doing. This really has to stop it makes me so angry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those people are really cold-blooded to use children for their own means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karin, I found your response interesting: "I honestly thought that it is normal and legal everywhere."

    Sian, what can you do help stop human trafficking? What will you do?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Karin,
    It is obvious that if you see an act from your childhood, you believe it is normal act.

    Thanks Sian for the short summary, that's true 'every human is equal'. But the problem is no one get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the reason they make prostitute legally is to reduce the crime rates of rape cases. Hmmm...since there are girls who are willing to exchange something for their own sake,so maybe is a good way to reduce the risk of other girls from being raped...(Notice- i emphasise willingness)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Prof. Johnson: I will never buy things that are made from slaves in order to reduce the demand of the products. Besides, I will lodge a police report if I happen to see people engage in the slave trade.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You brougt up a lot of interesting point! But instead just boycott the slave made product? I wish to know more helpful ways to strike humantrafficking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe we can brainstorm together?! What do you think Tzyy Ren? Do you have any constructive ideas?!

    ReplyDelete