Thursday, September 9, 2010

Comparison between UWEC and Malaysian student

Hi! Thanks for reading my blog! My name is Choo Choon Sian. Nice to make your acquaintance!

I have been in US for around 2 weeks. Things are really a lot different. I have numerous culture shocks when I came here. Nevertheless, I manage to acclimatize to those. I know that it is by studying others that we learn about ourselves. I am ready to make a change in my life.

What I like most about american students is they are very friendly and gregarious. They greet you so often, even though that they do not know who you are. "Hey, how are you doing?" It is what we will normally hear around the campus. In comparison, Malaysian students will feel very weird if somebody who does not know them come over and greet them with "How are you?". They rarely know how to respond. So this is a very good American's culture that we should learn and adopt. Secondly, the way American peers moving into the campus was like they were moving their house. They seemed to bring all their belongings. I just name a few we do not usually get to see in Malaysia - television, games console, microwave, refrigerator, futon, carpet, a lot of clothes, socks and shoes. Wherever I go around the dorm, I can hear the sound of the speakers blasting on my ears. I come to realize that western people really know how to enjoy their life; while eastern people work hard to thrive, and even to survive. This is really one of the main cultural differences. I know we should maintain the balanced lifestyle.

I do not really notice many similarities between University of Wisconsin - Eau Claire (UWEC) and Malaysian students. However, I would like to pinpoint some notable ones. The first similarity is both education systems also stress much on extra curricular activities. UWEC has 200 over student's clubs and organizations. I think my home university (National University of Malaysia - UKM) also has close to 200 student's societies. This is a good platform where great leaders are made. What is more? Both UWEC and UKM have a very condusive environment for study. The universities do have a beautiful campus, where you can trees, rivers and hills. The air is fresh, and the view is splendid, especially UWEC. Besides, they are equipped with excellent facilities and amenities. This is what makes me so grateful.

5 comments:

  1. Americans are very friendly, thats what we don't know back to our countries.
    Also Americans don't know about us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the thing that I noticed too, that you mentioned, is that they greet very often, which is very nice and very friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that American students do know how to enjoy their lives but not only that. Amazingly they could balance both of them, enjoying their lives and studying well. So, they do not miss anything...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sian,

    I really like the points you made. It makes me smile when you mention all the things that American students bring that Malaysian students wouldn't bring. So hopefully these differences won't continue to "shock" you too much!

    ReplyDelete